Recently, the State Government announced it would be making a number of changes to road rules relating to motorists and cyclists sharing the road.
- Cyclists of all ages will be able to ride on our footpaths;
- Motorists will have to give a minimum of one metre gap when passing a cyclist (or 1.5m gap when travelling +60km/hr);
- Motorists may only pass a cyclist when they can safely provide the minimum required passing distance;
- Motorists can cross any centre line (if it is safe to do so) to pass a cyclist;
- Cyclists are expected to keep a safe distance when passing traffic. However, the minimum passing distance will apply to motorists, not cyclists.