The State Liberals are demanding Premier Weatherill sack senior Labor Minister Ian Hunter after his foul mouthed tirade directed at Federal and State politicians and public servants in a city restaurant on Friday night.
“Ian Hunters’ behaviour is totally unacceptable and the Premier cannot let his fragile hold on the leadership of the ALP prevent him from enforcing his Ministerial Code of Conduct,” said State Liberal Leader Steven Marshall.
“There is no place in public life for Ministers insulting women in such debase, degrading terms.
“Jay Weatherill’s Ministerial Code of Conduct leaves the Premier with no option but to sack his foul mouthed Minister.”
The Code contains the following provisions:
- 1.1 Ministers must accept standards of conduct of the highest order.
- 1.1 Ministers are expected to behave according to the highest standards of constitutional and personal conduct in the performance of their duties.
- 2.2 Ministers must ensure that their personal conduct is consistent with the dignity, reputation and integrity of Parliament.
- 2.3 A Minister shall not wantonly and recklessly attack the reputation of any other person.
- 2.4 Ministers to act honestly, diligently and with propriety in the performance of their public duties.
- 1.1 The Premier must take responsibility for his or her Ministers and deal with their conduct in a manner that retains the confidence of the public.
“Minister Hunter has breach the code and a failure to sack him will be a further breach of that code by Jay Weatherill,” said Mr Marshall.
“If a public servant had behaved in the same manner as Minister Hunter they would be sacked.
“It is Jay Weatherill’s reputation that is now on the line.”