Less than a week after the Weatherill Government announced 117 beds would close in our southern hospitals overcrowding at the Flinders Medical Centre emergency department has exposed the Labor Government’s “efficiency improvement” claims as spin to hide budget cuts.
Even though Sunday is usually a less busy day, the Flinders Emergency Department has been:
- Overcapacity for 38 of the last 40 hours;
- At 9pm last night, there were more than 30 people at the ED than the capacity of the ED;
- As at 11am Monday, it had been overcapacity for 26 hours non-stop;
- Over the last 3 hours, 9 ambulances had been kept waiting for more than 30 minutes;
- For at least 7 of the 34 hours the Noarlunga ED was overcapacity.
“This reality makes a mockery of the Minister's claim of system improvement and the Health Minister’s pledge that there will be no staff reductions until efficiencies are realised,” said Shadow Minister for Health.
“The Weatherill Government must suspend its health cuts.”