The State Liberals have released data showing the Lyell McEwin Hospital is being swamped by increased patient demand caused by the Weatherill Government’s controversial Transforming Health budget cuts.
For more than a week, the Lyell McEwin Hospital’s Emergency Department has been Code White every day for at least four hours straight – and on two occasions for 13 hours straight:
- Monday 6 February: 6 hours straight (2pm+)
- Tuesday 7 February: 13 hours straight (1pm+)
- Wednesday 8 February: 9 hours straight (12 noon +)
- Thursday 9 February: 4 hours straight (4pm+)
- Friday 10 February: 13 hours straight (3pm+)
- Saturday 11 February: 8 hours straight (10am+) followed by another 5 hours straight (6pm+)
- Sunday 12 February: 8 hours straight (1pm+)
- Monday 13 February: 11 hours straight (12 noon+)
- Tuesday 14 February: 6 hours straight and ongoing (11am+)
Code White is where all the treatment bays are being used and more beyond.
“Health Minister Jack Snelling needs to explain how he is going to end this dangerous level of overcrowding at the Lyell McEwin,” said Shadow Minister for Health Stephen Wade.
“Transforming Health is starting to bite and patients and staff are bearing the brunt of this dangerous budget cuts plan.”
LMH is currently subject to two Safework SA improvement notices for contravening the Work Health and Safety Act that must be remedied by close of business next Thursday 23 February.
When Safework SA visited LMH ED on 21 November last year, it had been Code White for three hours. The notice stated:
“It was evident staff were under duress and foreseeable that workers health, safety and
welfare may be affected due to overcrowding in the ED.”
“Clearly, the situation has not merely failed to improve, it has got worse,” said Stephen Wade.