Premier Jay Weatherill’s abject admission that after 13 years of a Labor Government unemployment in South Australia is going to get worse before it gets better is a damning indictment of his Government’s performance.
“Jay Weatherill has thrown in the towel when it comes to fighting unemployment in South Australia,” said Shadow Treasurer Rob Lucas.
“Premier Weatherill has said that he’s made changes and now it’s up to business to create jobs. Mr Weatherill is always trying to blame someone else for the jobs crisis in SA.
“That is simply not good enough.
“The Weatherill Labor Government’s tax policies will not come into effect for a few years and don’t go nearly far enough.
“South Australia needs jobs creation now.
“Sadly for South Australians, Mr Weatherill doesn’t understand what is needed to turn our economy around and doesn’t understand that this needs to happen now.
“Mr Weatherill still doesn’t understand that for 13 years his policies have driven up business costs in SA making it almost impossible for our small businesses to flourish and create jobs.
“It’s time for the Weatherill Labor Government to swallow its pride and start adopting the job creating measures proposed by the State Liberals.”
The State Liberals have proposed:
- Bringing forward planned Stamp Duty relief to take effect this year;
- Committing to reducing Payroll Tax;
- Slashing Emergency Services Levy bills by reversing the $90 million ESL hike announced in the 2014-15 State Budget;
- Commencing building the Northern Connector road;
- Finalising an investigation regarding the Strzelecki Track upgrade; and,
- Creating a state-based Productivity Commission.
“Mr Weatherill has taken his hands off the wheel and South Australian families and businesses are paying the price,” said Mr Lucas.